fbpx

Wyndham TV

News in Wyndham

AquaPulse Pool Shuts Temporarily Due to Health Scare

aquapulse3

Image: Wyndham City

  
   

Confirmed Case of Cryptosporidiosis Leads to Immediate Closure; Venue to Reopen After Safety Protocols Implemented.

AquaPulse, a favourite swimming pool in Wyndham, has been temporarily shut down due to a visitor contracting cryptosporidiosis, a form of gastro.

Eat Drink local 1080x1080 Tile

The closure occurred at 6pm last night, April 2, following the discovery that an attendee was diagnosed with the illness. The pool hall was not open on Wednesday to allow for the implementation of infectious disease procedures, with plans to reopen on Thursday, April 4.

While the pool area is closed, AquaPulse’s gym and group fitness classes continue to operate as usual.

Wyn Active, which runs AquaPulse under the Wyndham council’s umbrella, and manages several recreational facilities in the area, confirmed the closure was on the advice of the council’s health department. They assured that there is no risk to the general public.

Wyn Active also stated that the Werribee outdoor pool, another facility it manages, remains unaffected and is open as usual.

There has been an increase in cryptosporidiosis cases throughout Melbourne since September, leading to the temporary shutdown of various pools. For instance, two pools at the Northcote Aquatic and Recreation Centre in Melbourne’s north-east were closed in early March after reported infections among swimmers.

Dr Clare Looker, Victoria’s chief health officer, issued a health advisory last month indicating a significant spike in cryptosporidiosis cases in 2024. She reported 607 cases, a surge of over 600% compared to the 84 cases in the same period in 2023, with many linked to public swimming pools.

Cryptosporidium parasites, which are resistant to the chlorine levels in swimming pools, cause cryptosporidiosis. Symptoms include watery diarrhoea, stomach cramps, and potentially fever, nausea, vomiting, bloating, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, it can lead to pneumonia, cholecystitis, or pancreatitis, necessitating hospital treatment.

Little Learners WyndhamTV Ad 1920x300