Covid-19 has added a range of new words and phrases to our vocabulary. Social distancing, community spread and super spreader are some of the most common.
Social isolation is another and I can’t help but wonder about how it would look at my home for extended periods of time.
It has led me to formulate a list of the top ten things I think I would need for lengthy social isolation. Let’s imagine that I have all of the basics such as food, cleaning products (for my family and our house) and toilet paper. But, what are the essential non-essential items I will need to get by?
10. Tomato Sauce – I have it on almost everything.
9. Ice Cream – I have it with the only things that I don’t put tomato sauce on.
8. Dips – Important when you are watching anything from the couch.
7. Corn Chips – Essential for using with number 8.
6. Mobile Phone – To take calls for all of the cancelled meetings and get-togethers that keep coming.
5. Measurement Tape – To measure the four square metres that I need to stay away from everyone.
4. Laptop – To be able to make engine searches that can make me an armchair expert.
3. Ingredients for Nachos – There will be left over corn chips from the dips.
2. More casual wear – Who needs formal wear when you work from home?
1. Wyndham TV – How else would anyone keep up with their local news?
How about you? Please feel free to contribute some of your own essential non-essential items to get you through these historically unprecedented times.
I don’t know about you but I’m off to buy sauce, t-shirts and measuring tape.
Author: Ben Hutchings