Detectives from the Wyndham Crime Investigation Unit have arrested and charged nine teenagers following a series of burglaries and car thefts at gyms across the Wyndham area this year.
In five incidents it is alleged car keys were stolen from a gym locker area before the car was stolen from the nearby carpark.
The alleged incidents took place at gyms on:
• Tom Roberts Parade, Point Cook about 9.30pm on 25 January
• Synnot Street, Werribee about 5pm on 31 January
• Point Cook Road, Point Cook about 8.15pm on 13 March
• Ballan Road, Manor Lakes about 9.30pm on 18 March
• Overton Road, Williams Landing about 8.30pm on 21 March
• Overton Road, Williams Landing about 11.30pm on 23 March
Yesterday morning, police were called to a gym on Derrimut Road, Tarneit after reports a group of males were acting suspiciously in the locker area about 1.35am.
Officers located three boys, two aged 12 and one 14-year-old, in the vicinity of the gym with allegedly stolen car keys in their possession and arrested them.
In total, nine teenagers have been arrested in relation to the incidents.
All have been charged with burglary and theft-related offences.
• A 12-year-old Tarneit boy
• A 12-year-old Manor Lakes boy
• A 14-year-old Point Cook boy
• A 14-year-old Manor Lakes boy
• A 15-year-old Wyndham Vale boy
• A 15-year-old Meadow Heights boy
• A 17-year-old Tarneit boy
All were bailed to appear before a children’s court at a later date.
A further two were remanded to appear before a children’s court at a later date.
• A 15-year-old Truganina girl
• A 15-year-old Tarneit boy
Detectives continue to investigate the series which remains active and ongoing.