Brand new picnic tables made from recycled plastic are saving tonnes of waste from going to landfills as part of a $21 million Urban Parks Active Wellbeing Program.
Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Lily D’Ambrosio today announced 17 parks across Melbourne will get new picnic tables made with recycled plastic from Replas, with one being the Point Cook Coastal Park, Point Cook.
The tables will save 5.67 tonnes of household and industrial plastic waste from going into landfill – helping Victoria reach its target of diverting 80 per cent of waste from landfill by 2030.
The picnic table roll-out will be followed by a range of improvements at 21 parks across Melbourne, including upgraded picnic shelters and toilets, carpark repairs, upgraded electric BBQs, replacement of playground equipment, improved signage and wider and more accessible pathways and trails.
The program also involves extending the Bay Trail between Sanctuary Lakes and Point Cook Coastal Park and repairing the historic sea wall at Point Gellibrand Coastal Park so more families can ride their bikes further and enjoy the views and amenities at these stunning coastal parks.
This investment is part of a $52.4 million package to maintain and upgrade visitor facilities at Parks Victoria sites.
List of parks to receive new picnic tables:
- Braeside Park – Telford Picnic Area
- Cardinia Reservoir Park – Crystal Brook Picnic Ground
- Karkarook Park – Dragon Fly Picnic Ground
- Mornington Peninsula – Fingal Picnic Area 2
- Yan Yean Reservoir Park – Southern Picnic Area, Northern Picnic area
- Maroondah Reservoir Park – Henderson’s Picnic area
- Dandenong Ranges – Dandenong Ranges National Park – Ferntree Gully Picnic Area
- Silvan Reservoir – Silvan Reservoir Lower Picnic Ground
- Jells Park – Jells East Picnic Area Yarra Bend Park – Westfield Picnic Area
- Banksia Park – Main Picnic Area
- Westerfolds Park – Porter Street Picnic Area, Ridge Picnic Area
- Birrarung Park – Picnic Area 1.
- Albert Park – Parks Victoria Depot
- Point Cook Coastal Park – The Beach Picnic Area
- Brimbank Park – Horseshoe Bend
- Greenvale Reservoir Park – Northern Picnic Area