Work on the new Altona Pier will soon get underway with a Victorian company appointed as the lead construction partner after a competitive tender process.
Simpson Construction Co. will build the new pier, which was designed with community input and funded as part of the Government’s $24 million piers and jetties economic stimulus package.
Work will be scheduled to begin after the busy summer period to minimize disruptions to local businesses.
Removing the existing pier is one of the first tasks. New steel piles and concrete crossheads will form the substructure with the new pier also featuring an accessible low landing, circular seating areas and offering excellent fishing opportunities.
An exciting new design for Melbourne’s West.
Altona’s new pier will create an attractive focal point for the whole community. The 4.2 metre wide deck will be constructed from timber which the community identified as the preferred material to enhance the pier’s appearance. With the improved accessibility of new handrails and lighting, the pier will provide an enjoyable place to walk and enjoy the views across towards Melbourne’s skyline.
- Stretching over 300 metres out into Port Phillip the branched pier head gives land-based fishing opportunities with improved access to off-shore artificial reefs.
- The pier includes two circular seating areas for rest and recreation
- The curved design provides multiple vantage points on the branching pier head and an accessible low landing and ladders for connection to the water
- Materials include timber decking, the community’s preference, on a stable and durable concrete substructure
- The pier’s new alignment with Altona’s Pier Street will provide an improved visual connection to the foreshore
- A new safe turning bay for emergency and maintenance vehicle access at the pier head
Schematic designs released: May 2022 completed
Detailed designs released and contract awarded: December 2022 completed
Materials procurement and preparation for start of works Feb – May 2023
Site establishment: May 2023
Removal of old Altona Pier and salvage of timber materials: from May 2023
Construction of new Altona Pier commences: from May 2023
Construction completed and new pier opens: Late 2023